Saturday, April 3, 2010

Roof Thatching Pictures and Song

Ever since I narrowed my indigenous topic to coconut weaving, it seems like my world has revolved around any information pertaining to it, especially with information regarding mathematics terms. For example, during a proclamation signing for the Guam Child Care and Development Association's (GCCDA) Child Care Givers Appreciation Week and 2010 Professional Leadership Conference, I saw a miniature version of an Ancient Chamorro Village containing replicas of coconut leaf thatched roof homes, and I automatically started taking pictures. Below are the pictures that I took while we were waiting for the Lt. Governor Mike Cruz to enter the conference room.





Pictured above: Coconut leaf thatched roof home replicas depicting the ancient Chamoru homes. The artifacts were created by Mr. and Mrs. Juan Babauta Chaco & Family.



In addition, Dr. Larry Cunningham has shared with me photos of his Canoe House, along with a special coconut weaving roof thatching song, which I've included below.

Balanggai - Roof Thatching Party
Gupot Atof - A Roofing Party

Thatching Song: Chamorita Higai
(Santos, 1989, p. 92; Reprinted courtesy of the Richard Flores Taitano Micronesian Area Research Center; Collected by Carmen Garrido Iglesias AKA Carmen I. Santos)



Below are the before and after pictures of the paseo canoe house provided by Dr. Cunningham.

Pictured above: Paseo Canoe House (SAHYAN TASI FACHEMWAN) before the weaving/thatching of the roof took place.


Pictured above: The Paseo Canoe House (SAHYAN TASI FACHEMWAN) after the roof has been thatched with coconut leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment