Friday, March 26, 2010

TINIFOK HAGON NIYOK (Coconut Leaf Weaving)

Pictured above: TINIFOK HAGON NIYOK (Coconut Leaf Weaving) by Antonia Castro


Hafa Adai! As part of my research, I came across a beautiful poster of the various coconut weaving crafts/articles that have been introduced to students in the Guam Department of Education for numerous years in Chamorro classes and in celebration of Chamorro Week, which later became what we now know as Chamorro Month. The weaver of the crafts showcased is Antonia Castro, who retired from the Chamorro Studies Division of GDOE. The following is a list of the coconut leaf crafts:

Aniyu

Apåcha’

Bålas

Bandeha

Bibek

Che’op

Estreyas

Estreyas

Guagua’

Gue’ha

Guihan Dikike’

Haggan

Hagon Flores

Henton Ulu

Higai

Hugeten Månglo’

Kadena

Kanåstra

Katupat

Katupat Diamånte

Kulepbla

Kurona

Paluman Dikike’

Piña

Plåtu

Putseras

Rusåt

Saligåo

Tason

Tuhong

Uhang


Because my mother is a weaver, I was fortunate enough to learn how to weave the following: henton ulu, gue'ha, rusåt, and putseras. I'm still learning, and I'm appreciative of the experience, as it is an indigenous cultural art that needs an awakening, especially for use in classroom instruction with special attention to the subject of mathematics. Project MACIMISE has empowered us to do much research and seek the traditional/indigenous ways of learning mathematics. It is a valuable project that has enlightened me and the various indigenous & local experts I've interviewed. It is my hope that I will be selected for Phase 2 of the project, so that I can contribute even more to this valuable project.

1 comment:

  1. Will you be able to add more posts about step by steps of creating them?

    ReplyDelete