Thursday, March 11, 2010

A Night of Technical Glitches, Yet We Persevered with Teamwork!


Buenas! Let me begin by saying, "I'm glad Rosa and I survived the night!" Tonight we experienced technical glitches, whether we were on the wireless or patch cable connection. We met in our usual room in the Micronesia Language Institute (MLI), however, we had to switch to Rosa's other MLI office, since the Internet was giving us problems. We were able to connect to the e-mail but not to the Elluminate room. Thus, our Internet connection was not strong. As a result of this, Rosa left voice messages for both Don and Joe regarding our technical glitches. Moreover, we went to Plan B and drove to the School of Education Literacy Lab to access the Internet there. While there, we were able to log on to one of the laptops, so Rosa and I shared the room and audio there. Then that laptop lost its connection, and we resorted to an older HP laptop, which had great audio, yet did not have a working microphone. Nevertheless, we were able to participate in part of tonight's session, and we kept pushing forward no matter the glitches that occured. It was obvious that UOG's Internet connection was not stable, and as a result it affected our participation. It should be noted that there are different Internet hot spots on campus.

Rosa and I had a terrible headache, but because we make such a great team, we never gave up! We have gone through technical glitches here and there along our Project MACIMISE journey, but we've always remained diligent in completing our tasks. Thank goodness for teamwork!

In any event, we were asked to blog about the asking-answering-listening process and to describe our reaction to the process. Thus, let me describe my experience pertaining to this. When Rosa and I were able to log on, questions were posed to Cal regarding his research on medicine. Lorraine and Marie asked good questions, and as a result Cal will go back and ask his resources a few more questions.

Marie and Lorraine also spoke about recipes, and there was an inquiry about a recipe book. This conversation led to additional thoughts on food, so the exchange was deep reflective amongst them.

I then spoke about my research on the Chamorro artistry of coconut weaving, including the research I've done, interviews I've conducted, videos that are available, hands-on demonstrations, field work, relevant information pertaining to grades 1, 4 & 7, the different uses of a coconut, and my blog postings pertaining to my research. Thereafter, I was questioned by Marie and Lorraine regarding my research, including the type of weaving I will focus on, the color of leaves that may be used in our culture, and whether I had a digital camera. I mentioned that I had a digital camera, and Lorraine and I will probably share the different pictures we'll be taking, especially during the Easter season.

Overall, this experience was a resourceful one. It reminds me of the Literature Circle, although it only allows for three roles - One who asks, one who answers, and one who listens. Each member had her/his role, and we were tasked to fulfill it in a collaborative process, and then we switched roles, as part of the process.
This process allowed us to learn from each other and undoubtedly empowered us to share our experience, research, thoughts, etc. Despite the technical glitches that Rosa and I experienced, I am grateful for the collaborative session we had tonight. Thank you for the wonderful experience! UN DANGKULO NA SI YU'OS MA'ASE'!

-Si Matilda


Image source: ucdavis.edu, wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment