Saturday, February 13, 2010

Mathematics Used In Chamorro Medicine



The focus of this is the Suruhana, as island residents sometimes seek the medicinal/spiritual powers of her when they fall ill. In my family the spiritual stories remain alive of my great grandmother, Antonia Chargualaf Nangauta, who served as the Suruhana (female herb doctor) of Malesso (Merizo). My father shared of how she would cure the sick by giving them herbs to eat or drink, or maybe even massage them. Yet he said that when she healed someone, the sickness imposed by the spirit would transfer to her, so she, herself would have to drink herbs to cure herself. He said that she often instructed those inflicted with sickness to visit the site where their illness began and ask for forgiveness for disturbing the spirits.

Both of my parents reminded me that if I should ever enter the jungle to be careful not to disturb the taotaomo'na (ghost; people of before). They mentioned that I must ask for permission from the Guela yan Guelo (grandmother and grandfather) before I begin my travel, so that I may not get sick, pinched, get red marks, or even swell. Although the Suruhana is revered, my mother said that there aren't as many that can be found these days, for they too, grow of old age, just like my great grandmother, who has since passed away.

Mathematics concepts that my great grandmother had to consider include the following: Amount of herbs used, type and texture of herbs used, amount of water to boil herbs, time of preparation of herbal medicine, number and pressure of massages used to heal, and length of massage therapy.

Sources:
Naputi, Joaquin. Personal INTERVIEW. 7 February 2010
Naputi, Julia. Personal INTERVIEW. 7 February 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment