Monday, February 8, 2010

Coconut Weaving in the Chamorro Culture

Weaving is said to be a lasting Chamorro artistry. There is mathematics used in the weaving of coconut leaves, for cultural master weavers must count the number of leaves they use, count in patterns, consider the size of the leaves, and dedicate time to the craft being weaved.


My mother is a weaver and has shared with me that leaves have to be wide, so that the craft you make will look more attractive. She said that if the leaves are too skinny it will not cover everything and you will end up having holes in your product.


Among the crafts my mother is able to make within minutes include the following: hat, bird, roses, fan, and headband. She said that it takes about half an hour to weave a hat and bird, 5 minutes to weave 3 roses, 15-20 minutes to weave a fan, and 5 minutes to weave 3 headbands.


She said that the weaving of hats follow a certain pattern, and your counting depends on the size of the hat you wish to make. For instance, the hat for kids would be a smaller size, and it would require about 16 leaves and less counting. On the other hand, the hats for adults would require about 20 leaves and more counting.


My mother said that the headband requires 3 leaves to make, and you would simply adjust it to fit either the child or adult. She said that the bird and rose each require one leaf to make.


She said that counting is especially important when making hats and fans. “You have no choice but to count,” she said. “The fan could be any size, either big or small, but no matter the size, you still have to count on each side for the fan.”


When asked why she enjoys weaving, my mother said that it “feels good and it’s therapeutic. I’m happy knowing that I’m sharing my gift with others.” I am touched by her words, and indeed, I agree that there’s no better reward than knowing that you have made a difference in some way or another. Moreover, I am a teacher because I also want to make a difference, one student at a time!


Source:
Naputi, Julia. Personal INTERVIEW. 6 February 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment