Saturday, January 30, 2010




Well, one of the things I appreciate in our culture is the chenchulé system, for it’s one that has assisted my family in times of need. I remember when my Tata passed away, hundreds of people gathered in support to assist in his burial, not only emotionally but financially as well. Many people gave ika, such as delicious food for the rosaries, or money to help our family.

I was amazed with the countless people who paid their respect to him. I was also told by my parents that the chenchulé given was part of a reciprocal connection for various good deeds my Tata had done to help others while he was still alive.

It brightens my spirit to know that if any big event should occur, whether it be a funeral, wedding, or christening, I know there will be that network of financial and emotional support.

*chenchulé: present (money), donation, thing that is given away, gift.
*ika: donation, gift – given to the family of a deceased person.

No comments:

Post a Comment