Monday, January 25, 2010

Mathematical Figures in Gassing Our Vehicles


Each vehicle that my family owns is a gas guzzler, so we spend about $70 each week for each vehicle, which adds up to $140 a week. However, the price of gas also changes on a weekly basis, it seems, so the cost may vary depending on the gas price. On the military base, the cost is $2.92 a gallon and off-base it's over $3.00. Hopefully, the price will decrease, but it is unlikely.

I drive a Mazda van, while my husband drives a Ford F-150 truck. We drive about over 30 miles each day with every destination that we go to on a daily basis. We live in Yona, which is the central part of the island; although I must admit that we live closer to Talofofo than the main village of Yona. In any event, every morning I have to drive to Tamuning, which is in the northern part of the island, since that is where I teach at, namely LBJ Elementary School. En route to LBJ, I have to stop by at the daycare to drop off my youngest son. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour to drive to LBJ, since the school traffic is extremely heavy every morning. Since I teach part-time at the University of Guam, I also travel there throughout the week to conduct my courses, so that's another destination with an additional 30-minute travel time. Thereafter, I have to head back to the daycare in Tamuning (another 30-minute travel) to pick up my youngest son, and then I head back home to the quieter part of the island.

My husband takes about 30 minutes to go to work, namely the Navy Exchange, unless there is a large crowd that is also heading to work en route the Cross Island Road down south. Although, since he gets up around 5:30 a.m. to get ready and heads to work quite early, he usually doesn’t encounter the type of heavy traffic I do on a daily basis.

What's your mathematical figure like when it comes to gassing your vehicle(s)? Is it outrageous like mine or more reasonable? I'm hoping it's the latter part.

No comments:

Post a Comment