Saturday, March 20, 2010

Research Revised


The writing process is essential when writing a research paper, and it too, involves mathematics, as there are five steps that we must go through as part of this process, which include the following:

(1) Prewriting
(2) Drafting
(3) Revising
(4) Proofreading
(5) Publishing

I'm on step 3 of the writing process, as I will have to go back and make additional changes, as suggested by Don. I will delete the abstract I originally included. I will also delete all the ESL verbiage, as I initially personalized it with my ELLs in mind. I will also rearrange the references according to the following:

REFERENCES - Print and online sources
INTERVIEWS - Personal interviews

As a result of my draft, the new title of my research paper will be, Using Coconut Weaving in Guam Classrooms to Improve the Mathematics Skills of Local Students.

Here's the diamond in the rough paragraph that Don was glad to see in my draft:

"According to Cruz (2010), coconut weaving involves addition, subtraction, and division. He said that when you make a certain basket, in order to close the bottom you would have to divide the coconut leaves. He further said that pandanus baskets always need to have an even number of leaves to split and that odd numbers would not allow you to complete your ideal basket. He said that there is a pattern that must be followed in weaving. For example, for certain types of coconut baskets, 12, 16, 20 leaves are needed, but they will all be different sizes. This is also the same case for fans, which follow an "over and under" pattern throughout the course of creating the art piece (Naputi, 2010).

Don further mentioned that if I can expand the aforementioned paragraph into a set of clear, careful descriptions of coconut- and pandanus-leaf weaving, showing how these mathematical operations are involved, I will have a first-rate research paper.

Thanks, Don! It is my goal to do just that, to have a "first-rate research paper!" Good luck my fellow MACIMISERS, and may all of us reach that same goal, because ultimately it will impact our students!

No comments:

Post a Comment